[Xorg] Implementing "Xv" extension on DDX which don'tsupportitin hardware...

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Mon Jul 12 12:13:10 PDT 2004

John Dennis writes:
 > > > Typically its the background pixel color of the Xv client application.
 > >
 > > No, I mean: Which "side" paints the color key ? The Xv implementation in
 > > the Xserver or the X client ?
 >
 > As I said, the client. This is perhaps unfortunate, clearly it is the
 > ddx Xv implementation which has the knowledge about color keying, but
 > this is not the design of X where windows have backgrounds and those
 > backgrounds are automatically repainted by non Xv aware portions of the
 > server.

This is not correct. The color key is entirely handeled witin the DDX
- or better to say the driver.
The XV extension is instructed to fill a certain drawable with data from
the video source. How this is done depends entirely on the underlaying
HW. Therefore letting the driver fill the visible areas of this drawable
with a color key is perfectly valid.

Egbert.