[Xorg] OT: radeon questions

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 12 06:32:23 PDT 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 09:14, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
>On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 08:46 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >
>> >Building it into the kernel helps. Also, specify VGA_CONSOLE=N in
>> > . config.
>>
>> Humm, turning it off isn't an option in a make xconfig, and
>> grepping .config for VGA returns this:
>> #CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
>> CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
>
>That's the correct one to turn off. Dont know why it isn't available
>with 'make xconfig'.
>
>> If I turn that off, do I still have a runlevel 3 login screen?  My
>> kernel build script will allow me to revert one generation quite
>> easily.  It makes sense that I'd still have the bios screen which
>> should be sufficient, so I'll edit that by hand and give it a
>> shot.
>
>You will have a console if you specify one in grub.conf. Try adding
>video=radeonfb.

I lost it at the exit from the grub choice screen, and didn't have any
visible output until the init script signed on, from there it was a
normal 80x25 screen.  By specifying it, I lost the screen even
earlier, but either way it signs on with the INIT message.  This
represents a potentially serious problem in that boot failure
messages usually occur in that range of the process. :(

>See eg here
>http://thesapphirecat.iwarp.com/present/program/radeonfb.html

This page seems to be quite old, no 2.6.x references at all.
But I'll give a couple of the options a try.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.