[Xorg] OT: radeon questions

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon Jul 12 02:20:43 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 05:06 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I've added a 'modprobe radeonfb' to my rc.local but haven't yet
> rebooted.  modprobing it while x is running (XFree86-4.3.2) resulted
> in severe screen damages that required several screen switches to
> fully recover,

Sure, that's a bad idea. You're lucky nothing worse happened.

> and it seems (subjectively) to be slower.

Must really be subjective, it shouldn't make any difference.

> glxgears is apparently not using it under these conditions, still in the
> 170-200 fps area.  Thats essentiually a 'no change'.

radeonfb isn't related to the DRI at all. You're probably looking for
the radeon DRM, the kernel module is called just 'radeon'.

> Currently that portion of the lsmod output looks like this:
>
> [root at coyote drivers]# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> radeonfb               56936  0
> cfbcopyarea             3904  1 radeonfb
> cfbimgblt               3008  1 radeonfb
> cfbfillrect             3712  1 radeonfb
>
> So its loaded but apparently not being used.

You'd have to map consoles to it or start the X server with Option
"UseFBDev" to change that. But it sounds like you don't really need
either.