[Xorg] X on OpenGL

Ian Romanick idr at us.ibm.com
Sun Jul 11 16:46:33 PDT 2004

Ted Kaminski wrote:

> I have another concern that sort of relates to this: games.
>
> With a OpenGL-based X server, we're going to end up using a lot of video memory.  Games these days pretty much need all the resources they can get.

Actually, we'll probably use *less*.  With the open-source drivers, if
you have a display that's 1600x1200, the back and depth buffers are
statically allocated to be that size.  If you run the game at 1024x768,
there's a huge chunk of memory that's unused.  If you treat every window
like a pbuffer (or some similar abstration), you can kick them out of
video memory (the same way the kernel kicks applications out of physical
memory).  You have to make sure that there are no rendering commands
queued by the graphics engine to render to that surface, but it's still
completely doable.