[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Wed Jul 7 18:41:51 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 06:18:40PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mer, 2004-07-07 at 14:34, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > for all supported OSes? What about the non-free OSes we support?
> >
> > I believe that most graphic card manufacturers are capable of doing
> > this.
>
> Capable but will they ? I suspect the answer is no. That is one reason
> for keeping some kind of loader compatibility around (or figuring out if
> you can load a linux-elf module on netbsd, given the gnu binutils
> can do this kind of stuff like cross linking)

True. There's also stuff like objcopy, but let's face it, they're more
likely to get bitten by carelessly linking to system libs that will end
up radically different, than end up being disappointed by us.

That said, it's not an argument against the functionality. If we can
keep it around, huzzah! If not, then we just have to look at whether the
price of the MetroLink loader outweighs the benefits of cross-OS
compatibility. (And before anyone pulls any of this 'other OS' stuff on
me, take a look at how well the MetroLink loader supports ia64, hppa,
and other such platforms. Go on, I dare you.)

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org