[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at engr.sgi.com
Wed Jul 7 10:25:07 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, July 6, 2004 9:36 am, Jon Smirl wrote:
> --- John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:
> > bus topology and that VGA routing is correct. Unlike the current
>
> You can't make the assumptions about VGA routing. When secondary video
> cards are reset by running their ROM, at the very least they enable
> their VGA support. Sometimes they remap the bridges too.
>
> We need kernel support for:
> 1) disabling all VGA devices
> 2) setting one VGA device active and get the bus routed to it

This is possible, but also points out a deficiency in the current X server's
idea of I/O ports.  I spoke with John Dennis about this a few weeks ago, but
it seems to me that we should either:

  o make the in/out routines take full pointers for the port address value
    - or -
  o pass a PCI tag to them so that the platform code can figure out where to
    route the I/O

As it stands, the X server's platform code has to assume one, global, I/O port
base address...

Jesse