[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 08:31:57 PDT 2004

--- Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
> I've said it many times, I'll say it again: I consider this a myth.
> The register values don't become magically secure just because the
> kernel writes them to the hardware instead of a user process. A
> good part of the mode setting code will always have to be
> privileged one way or the other.

Security means that the API is protected from from compromising the
overall security of the system. System security does not require
preventing you from writing the wrong values into register as long as
we are sure that those values can't be used to compromise system
security. Call mode validation something else, it is not security.

You can't stop the user from hitting the monitor with a sledge hammer either.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com