[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Wed Jul 7 06:34:44 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 01:12:04PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Adam Jackson writes:
>  > I would posit, however, that OS-independence in drivers is a false economy.
>  > OSes are cheap, get a multi-boot rig and compile them all directly.  Or use a
>  > cross-compiler.  From the perspective of the graphics card manufacturer,
>  > you'd need to have the target platform around for testing anyway if you're
>  > going to declare it a supported platform.
>
> Well, do we believe the average developer will set up multiple
> OSes or set up cross compile environments to provide binaries
> for all supported OSes? What about the non-free OSes we support?

I believe that most graphic card manufacturers are capable of doing
this.

>  > Finally, if all else fails, it may be possible to keep the old loader around
>  > specifically for obstreperous vendors who don't feel like adding another
>  > machine to the compile farm.  This would need some hacking to make work - in
>  > my tests the two module loaders are _not_ cross-callable - but it should be
>  > doable.
>  >
> That may be an option. Currently symbol names from the dll modules cannot
> be exported to the internal loader.

Does that mean it cannot be done?

> I also would like to call for a careful evaluation of the situation.
> Most of the people here belong to the Linux community so they probably
> don't care.

No, this is not true (the not caring bit).

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org