[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 19:17:57 PDT 2004

--- Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> My position here is to avoid taking a position -- migrate the
> existing mode selection logic behind a new API and get the X server

There is a lot more to this. Some of the areas include:

Device detection
Reset, with real mode helper, getting the ROM contents
Active VGA device control, making sure there is only one
Locating device resources, where are registers/RAM, etc
Mode setting - for all heads
Who owns the hardware - root or user
Hotplug add/remove of video cards
Hotplug add/remove of input devices
Multiuser - what video/keyboard/mouse form a group, how do things get
assigned.
How can the kernel put up error messages on the display -- OOPS, printk
Coordination of VRAM memory management

This list is pretty large and I've probably forgotten a few things.

All of this matters equally to fbdev and X.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com