[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Mon Jul 5 06:28:03 PDT 2004

Keith Packard writes:

 > Around 13 o'clock on Jul 4, Egbert Eich wrote:
 >
 > Cool.  There are lots of people with a minor interest in having this
 > happen, but no-one currently motivated to actually start writing the code.
 >
 > My idea is that by providing a standard API we could let people who want
 > to do this kind of thing in the kernel do just that while leaving those
 > devices which need user-mode code to prepare video modes with access to
 > that capability.

We could probalby stick a large amount of this into the kernel and
make 85 to 90 percent of the users happy.
The reason why I don't advocate this but instead suggest to try to do as
much as possible from user land is that I don't want to make the other
10 to 15 percent unhappy by giving them the finger.
Furthermore it seems to be much harder to port things between kernels
of different OSes than to port a userland application to the interfaces
of a new kernel.

 > Hooking this up to the existing Linux hotplug system would grant even
 > kernel fbdev drivers access to this logic.

Let's keep this in mind.

Egbert.