[Xorg] getconfig.pl

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Sun Jul 4 05:12:36 PDT 2004

Erik Harrison writes:
 > I was frustrated the other day by my seeming inability to learn C. As
 > I actually speak Perl and was hoping for some distraction, is started
 > to poke around in getconfig.pl.
 >
 > getconfig has a small list of PCI ID to driver mappings inside the
 > program itself. Considering that we install a default xorg.cfg file,
 > is it really sane to keep this information in getconfig? I could move
 > it out into xorg.cfg if it's the Right Thing.

getconfig.pl was a project done by David Dawes on XFree86. The pieces that
were under the original (XFree86 1.0) license made it over into the X.Org
tree.
It is certainly not a good idea to maintain such a list in the program
itself. I assume it was just ment to be a temporary solution. Such a list
can be kept in a separate data file, however xorg.conf doesn't seem to
be the right place as it is used as a custom configuration file. Even
with automatic configuration around one must be able to create such a
custom file and that one would then most likely overwrite this data.
Any other file in /etc/X11 would be fine, I think.

Cheers,
	Egbert.