[Xorg] Input device hotplug

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 2 11:07:31 PDT 2004

Around 18 o'clock on Jul 2, Egbert Eich wrote:

> It depends on if you want to implement different system specific mechanisms
> into the clients by adding them to the toolkits or if you want to abstract
> away things from the clients (and the toolkits) by putting the system
> dependent  functionality into one central place (the Xserver) which exposes
> a uniform interface to its clients.

These aren't incompatible; the common interface for clients remain the X
input extension.

How the X server discovers available devices and collects data for and
about them will remain somewhat system dependent. The suggestion here is to
modify how the X server learns about devices; currently it's "magic", and
so desktop software has no standard way to fix or change the behaviour.

We can either have the X server provide some new standard protocol for
applications to configure the set of devices the X server should use, or
we can just use the X protocol for that purpose.  Either is functionaly
equivalent, I think both present similar security "challenges".  I think
using the X protocol will be somewhat easier to implement and will
trivially provide network transparency for this configuration.

That's just my first opinion though; it wouldn't take a lot of data to
force this to be reevaluated...

-keith