[Xorg] next steps with the xorg tree

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Wed Feb 18 19:35:26 PST 2004

"Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb at shiman.com> wrote:

> > As I mentioned before, that is the realm of good source control systems.
> > I don't use CVS extensively so I don't know it works for CVS, but with
> > Perforce I can just do a 'p4 filelog' on any file and it will give me all
> > the history of that file, the change log comments and changelist numbers.
>
> It'll do this for any arbitrary file I happen to be looking at? Or just
> the files checked out in a P4 sandbox?

You normally do it for a file you have checked out in your client view,
however you can do this for any file in the depot using the full path of
the depot file (ie: \\depot\somedir\somefile.c). So you can actually do
it for any file you have permissions to be able to see, even if it is not
in your current client view.

> > With the changelist numbers I can find out what other files were checked
> > in at the same time for that change as well.
>
> Now that's a nice feature.
>
> > If CVS doesn't have these abilities, maybe we should consider using a
> > better tool for the job, like Perforce ;-)
>
> Maybe the folks at perforce would like the good will and warm fuzzies
> they'd get from giving fd.o a license?

Sure. Perforce is completely free for Open Source development, and we
have a license we use already for Open Watcom and other projects that we
host (we have a separate server that hosts our closed source code). All
you need to do is download the Perforce Open Source license agreement,
send it in and they will send you a license file:

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/contracts/open_source.pdf

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/opensource-faq.html

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~