2004-12-28 14:17:18.098 XDarwin[11619] Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

John Davidorff Pell johnpell at mac.com
Tue Dec 28 18:40:01 PST 2004

This is because on Mac OS X XDarwin is an application, not a windowing
system (until after it starts up). You need to double-click the
application bundle at /Applications/XDarwin.app. StartX has never
worked correctly, and likely never will. There are some hacks in place
to put the XDarwin binary in /usr/X11R6/bin, named XDarwinStartup (go
figure), which I think is supposed to be used by startx. StartX is not
really meant to be used on Mac OS X.

Of course, if you are trying to run this from the console then you're
pretty much stuck with startx and/or xinit, which still don't work
well. When XDarwin discovers that it is running not-under-aqua, then it
runs some other code, from the same binary (which I don't think is
wise, because changes to one method of presentation can damage the
other, and only one gets adequate testing).

More specifically, I believe the problem you are having is that startx
is trying to run "XDarwin" instead of "XDarwinStartup", which is the
real window server. A better solution: "open -a XDarwin"

Hope this helps,
JP

P.S. What are the "OS specific thingers" that you did?