Idea: adding an input mask extension

Anton Markov anton at truxtar.com
Mon Dec 27 21:13:06 PST 2004

Deron Johnson wrote:
> This could be implemented in a 3D window system by creating a pickable
> fully transparent object. Such an object wouldn't be visible but it
> would respond to picking. I'm interested in tracking this subject, so
> please keep me posted of any developments.

Actually, what I was proposing was the other way around: a visible
object (or part of an object) which _does not_ respond to events.

> Keith Packard wrote:
>>If you look in events.c, you'll see only a very few places where the shape
>>of the window affects input.  Right now, those all use the borderClip
>>region.  Making these (conditionally) use a new region would let us
>>program that region easily enough.  I think the changes to implement this
>>new input region are straightforward.
>>
>>If anyone is interested in exploring an implementation, I'd love to kibitz.

As much as I'd like to help, I haven't even began understanding how the
X.org code works. However, I would be glad to help out is someone else
would take the lead on this idea and maybe give me a few pointers on
what the various functions/structures/variables do.

I am glad there is some interest in this.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***