Redhat/Linux/OpenGL options?

Peter Bismuti bismuti at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 27 20:27:42 PST 2004

I understand that XFree86 and the Xorg implementation of the X Windowing
system (got it right!) come from the same CVS source tree and the difference
lies in the terms of the license and perhaps various extensions, etc.

I also heard that as of Red Hat 4 (beta) xorg-x11-6.8.1 will be used instead
of XFree86.

Am I understanding the facts correctly?

I'm intererested as I've heard that xorg-x11-6.8.1 will offer a mechanism of
software emulation that will allow using 12-bit pseudocolor on hardware that
otherwise would not support it (as well as greyscales and other visuals
other than real color).  This is a very important issue with my work.

Also, I believe I read that it will support "layers"(?)......overlays!  The
ability to combine images with different visualials, so I an have a photo
using real color and have a gui control or whatever using 12-bit pseudocolor
simultaneously.  I'm assuming this is also supported through software
emulation.

Do I have my facts straight?  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!