X11/OpenGL/Redhat

Peter Bismuti bismuti at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 27 13:01:13 PST 2004

I'm a little confused, perhaps someone could get me back on the right track.

Xfree86 has become the standard open source X windowing system that is
shipped with Linux bundles such as Redhat, but is there a different
oepn-source implementation from X.org as well?  I got the impression there
was from a posting I read,  but can't seem to verify whether or not this is
true.

(aside )  The confusion seems to be that some things that are actually
defined as protocols (set of rules, API)  but their names are used to refer
to a specific implementation (i.e. the standard one).  For Linux, is XFree86
really the only game in town (other than the commercial ones such as XI)?
Or is there another viable open-source alternative that may contain
feautures I need and wouldn't take me 3 months to get configured and running
properly.

Specifically, it seems that currently XFree86 does not support a feature
that was posted by someone as existing in "X Window System Version 11
Release 6.8.1".

If not, (if there is something besides XFree86), how simple would it be to
get it off the ground, configured and running?  (I'm assuming that I could
kiss Redhat support goodbye, which would be bad, but if necessary...)

The similar confusion exists for OpenGL.  Is Mesa really the only game in
town for Linux (Redhat Enterprise WS3, again, not counting commercial
implementations)?  SGI has an open source implementation of OpenGL ported to
Linux I believe, but is it really practical to choose it over Mesa if
porting applications to Redhat E3 WS?  Or is Mesa just too integrated with
Redhat.

In theory XFree86 and Mesa should be decoupled from eachother so each could
be swapped out with other implementations.  In reality, are they?  Or will
choosing a different implementaton of each cause me months of headaches?

Perhaps a good commercial version would be worth it as a last reset.
Specifically, there is functionality in SGIs that is not supported on PC
hardware and must be emulated in software, such as:

1. dual layers (one layer of pseudo-color or grey scale and another of
true-color).

2.  12-bit pseudocolor, currently not supported by any PC graphics cards
that I'm aware of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

Pete