Can't startx: Failed to load module "vga", "vesa", or "ati"

David Oberlitner david at aspidon.net
Sun Dec 26 01:16:41 PST 2004

Hello Xorg list,

I can't startx.

I updated a previously working Gentoo installation to xorg 6.8.0. After
the upgrade I am not able to load ATI, VESA, or VGA video drivers. The
attached log file shows an attempt using the vga driver. The VESA and
ATI drivers yield similar results. The differences are "undefined
symbol" names and driver.so names.

I looked at the FAQErrorMessages but did not find a solution to my
problem there.

What can I do to enable loading an appropriate video driver for an ATI
Rage XL 8MB adapter?

Thank you,

David
The attached Xorg.0.log file includes the following snippets:

(--) PCI:*(2:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL rev 39, Mem @
0xfd000000/24, 0xfe9df000/12, I/O @ 0xde00/8, BIOS @ 0xfea00000/17
.
.
LoadModule: "vga"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/vga_drv.so
dlopen: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/vga_drv.so: undefined symbol:
vgaHWUnmapMem
(EE) Failed to load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/vga_drv.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vga"
(EE) Failed to load module "vga" (loader failed, 7)
.
.
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error: