GL_ARB_texture_compression - which driver?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 08:48:53 PST 2004

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:39:31 +0100, Dexter Filmore
<Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de> wrote:

> I recently added a DDS plugin to The Gimp, now when trying to save an image as
> DDS, Gimp replies:
> "GL_ARB_texture_compression is not supported by your OpenGL implementation."
>
> So I googled around and found Mesa doesn't support this (I am running XOrg
> 6.8.1 with the radeon driver on a Radeon 9800Pro).
> Heard there where some patches, but before immersing into patch orgies I
> thought I ask the list whether there are other workarounds to this.
>
> I am aware that ATI's fglrx driver module would provide such functions, but
> fglrx has serious bugs and other issues, especially with video overlay,
> besides they don't support XOrg yet and the driver won't build on 6.8 anyway,
> so this is no option.

mesa cvs had support for compressed textures on radeon, r200, and i8xx
chips.  Due to licensing issues and what exactly you are tying to do,
you may or may not need the external compression lib.  There is no
open 3d support for r300 chips (such as yours) as of yet.

Alex