trident XP4m32

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 07:05:09 PST 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:53:39 +0100, Mathieu Lacage
<mathieu_lacage at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> hi alex,
>
> On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 09:14 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > the xp4m32 is actually XGI, not trident (trident and sis graphics
> > merged a while back).  I believe they use trident's pci ids.  XGI has
> > binary only X drivers on it's web site:
> > http://www.xgitech.com/sd/sd_download.asp
> > they also have an open source kernel FB driver.
>
> I did look over all of this. They don't make any mention of the XP4
> anywhere and none of the source or header files mention it. Although
> they might be using another marketing name, none of the FB or drm
> drivers I found referenced the PCI ID of the chip found in my laptop
> (actually, it does not look like they handle the TRIDENT vendor ID used
> in my chip).
>
> Maybe there is some magic in the drivers to handle this chip but I have
> been unable to try it out since that would require switching back to a
> 2.4.x kernel driver and that would be rather painful given my other
> hardware...
>
> Obviously, I would feel much more comfortable with trying to improve the
> existing nicely written 2D Xfree driver :)

perhaps the the xp4m32 is actually an old trident chip they are using
to fill in their product set.  I dunno, I'm not that familiar with
trident.  You might try asking Alan Hourihane as he wrote the trident
driver and is probably more familiar with the hardware.

Alex