Darwin keyboard woes

Nathaniel Gray n8gray at caltech.edu
Tue Dec 21 23:50:16 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm a Mac user and I use uControl (http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol) to remap
the modifier keys on my keyboard so that I can do things like turn
caps-lock into command and swap the option and command keys by the
space bar.  Unfortunately it seems that any key that I touch with
uControl just vanishes as far as X is concerned.  For example, if I
turn caps-lock into command, launch X, then run xev, caps-lock produces
absolutely no response.  All this stuff works fine with Apple's
X11.app.  I understand that XDarwin handles the keyboard differently,
but I'm not sure how to go about solving this problem.  I would
appreciate any suggestions that people have.

Also, even without uControl in effect, I get no response in xev from
the option/alt key on my powerbook.  This is with Xorg 6.8.2 RC1 on OS
X 10.3.7, but I've seen the problem with every non-Apple X server I've
tried.

Thanks in advance,
-n8

PS. Please CC me when responding.