R300 idling (new subject)

Peter Karlsson petekarl at student.chalmers.se
Sun Dec 19 11:54:31 PST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> I did not know about that.. How does it work ?

I have no idea but from the arstechnica link below:

''VPU Recover is a "a patent-pending innovative software recovery feature
that enables the display driver to gracefully recover from graphics
hardware hangs. This feature also offers a direct feedback and bug report
mechanism and marks a major step towards crash-proof PCs." In theory, VPU
Recover will simply reset the GPU in the case of a critical error. This
should prevent system crashes, although in some circumstances you may get
dumped into a low resolution recovery mode not unlike that already
implemented in Windows XP (if you've seen it, you know it).''

And here's some marketing speak from ati:

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/glossary/includes/list.html#vpurecover

>From my limited understanding it could be that the driver is "pinging"
the gpu and when it does not answer within a certain time-frame it resets
the hardware? But it seems it does not work on all radeon's so maybe it
needs hardware support as well? Ok, I'm only guessing...

Best regards

Peter K

--
We Can Put an End to Word Attachments: