xc/programs considered harmful

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il
Sun Dec 19 08:55:45 PST 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> John McCutchan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 13:51 -0500, Leon Shiman wrote:
> >
> >>Daniel -
> >>
> >>There  is a procedure already in place for deprecating ANY code. It is part
> >>of X.Org's commitment to stability of the code base.  The Architecture Group
> >>is the place to start; under Paul Anderson's chairmanship they are empowered
> >>to review and propose changes. You should write xorg_arch at x.org.
> >>

> > They should be reading and participating on this list then eh? Part of
> > the reason for ditching XFree was to avoid this kind of closed circle of
> > power wasn't it? I thought the community was going to decide the
> > direction of X now. Considering that Daniel is one of the biggest
> > participators in the X community, I guess not.
> >

> I believe most of the Architecture Board members are here - the community
> elected us and if Daniel wanted to run, he could have.   The lists are open and
> we listen to opinions from everyone, but there still needs to be someone who
> can make decisions when not everyone agrees, and it's hard to get away from
> having some group like this.   (In reality, there's been little the Architecture
> Board has had to do so far.  Most things have been working well by simple
> consensus or discussions in forums like release-wranglers.)

How many lists?
Is this and r-w are not good enough?
And with the annoying issues about xorg mailing list they are not really
welcoming.
Anyhow how did the board got to the point that it doesn't talk on the most
active developer list?How come it doesn't share and invite people to
specific discussions that might intrest them?
I think in that case the board is doing a bad job and being isolated from
the rest of the community, it's the board responsiblity to feed the
developers community NOT the other way around.

> The purpose of the separate list is simply traffic management - there are people
> who want to participate in the high level architecture discussions without being
> overwhelmed by all the mail of "how do I make _____ card work with ____ OS using
> Xorg _____ ?" and similar discussions.   (There are times I think a -devel vs.
> -users split would be good for similar reasons, others I think it has problems
> in places where it lets the developers get isolated from what the users are
> actually doing.)

COME ON!
then make public on this list what discussions are happening on the board
lists, or even better make a digest so developers could easily know
what is being discussed and what was talked about?
I again think that it's the board job to provide the information to teh
developers NOT the other way around!