PowerMac + Radeon startup crash: PCI resource problem w/ Linux 2.6 (long)

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Sun Dec 19 03:53:41 PST 2004

Hi Ben,

I'm glad to hear that you will take care of that problem - now I am sure
there will be a solution! :-)

Am 19.12.04 09:54 schrieb(en) Benjamin Herrenschmidt:
> Yah, something doesn't like the IO resource allocated by the firmware,
> but on the other hand, we don't use IOs anyway so that shouldn't be a
> problem.
>
> Can you do an lspci -vv dump as root on both kernels and send me the
> output ? Also send me the output of /proc/iomem and /proc/ioports

Attached as tar.bz2 to this message.

> Seems to be a PCI issue, something X doesn't like in the PCI setup on
> this machine. Strange.

Having a closer look at the output, I realised that the 0x400 range is
used by the AVM Fritz!PCI ISDN controller. Removed it, rebooted into 2.6.9
- and X works flawlessly!!! However, why does X fiddle around with the
resources of an ISDN controller?!? BTW, here is an other difference
between booting into 2.4 and 2.6 on my box: with 2.4, the (old) ISDN
modules (in particular hisax) are loaded upon boot time, whereas I didn't
try to activate isdn with 2.6 (neither the old one nor misdn/capi) yet.

> One day, we should probably get rid of all the PCI mucking in X on
> linux, have it just use the resources as-is provided by the kernel, with
> just a kernel service/driver to handle arbitration of legacy IO enables
> for legacy VGA. (We need that anyway and it's beeing worked on).

I'm looking forward to that, although I hope some day I'll have something
like dsl and no need for the isdn stuff any more (which doesn't work with
OS X anyway). However, installing an add-on card in a Mac shouldn't break
anything. This is *not* a winbloze box... ;-)

Thanks again,

	Albrecht.

 Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
       Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress at arcor.de