R300 idling (new subject)

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sat Dec 18 09:16:36 PST 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 03:27, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> >> No. A user-space client is perfectly entitled to  mix 2d and 3d code
> >> and a proper DRM driver must be able to prevent lockups in case
> >> user-space client screws up.
> >
> > We've never guaranteed "prevent lockups in case user-space client screws
> > up" before.  Generally reducing lockups in that case is nice, I'd say,
> > but the "must" would be a new requirement.
>
> Oh..  This would mean we gave up on security, I hope it is not true..

Our security model is, if you have access to /dev/dri/card? and the X server
let you connect, then you can write directly to the hardware.  There are
plenty of other DoS attacks you can perform once you have a connection to the
server.

Don't like it?  Help me figure out accelerated indirect rendering, which would
let you restrict drm device access to root (the server) and still get
accelerated 3d.

- ajax