xc/programs considered harmful

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Dec 17 21:42:10 PST 2004

Around 22 o'clock on Dec 17, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> This might provide an easy migration path - have xc as is, create new
> modules pointing to individual components (Xserver, fonts, library.
> programs) and gradually apply patches allowing components to build when
> checked out by themselves.

Unfortunately, to create viable stand-alone packages, you have to move
individual files around within the tree which breaks the Imake build
system.  While it would be possible to both create a modular build
environment *and* maintain the monolithic build system using imake, it's a
tremendous additional burden on the development process, especially as that
would really need to guarantee perfect source and binary compatibility
independent of the build system across a wide variety of operating systems.

I don't believe we should waste people's time like this; we have few
enough developers as it is to consider spending years fixing duplicate
build systems.

-keith