xc/programs considered harmful

Chris Lee clee at freedesktop.org
Fri Dec 17 12:47:31 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 01:51:02PM -0500, Leon Shiman wrote:
> Daniel -
>
> There  is a procedure already in place for deprecating ANY code. It is part
> of X.Org's commitment to stability of the code base.  The Architecture Group
> is the place to start; under Paul Anderson's chairmanship they are empowered
> to review and propose changes. You should write xorg_arch at x.org.

Leon,

The old methods and procedures were not designed for the sort of
development model that X.org is now in, and I would like to
submit that they need to be revised to allow the community to
come to some sort of a concensus on exactly this type of issue.

Paul Anderson seems to agree.

Also, Leon, you said:
> It is also inappropriate to propose cdhanges - much less changes of this
> magnitude - just prior to the Christmas-New Year's holidays, which affect
> many active members of the community.

The thing is, while you may regard X as a thing to take a
vacation from during the holidays, some of us are itching to have
all this free time to spend improving it, which is why this sort
of an announcement is timed well for community development.

> I suggest you start by reviewing standing policies with Paul Anderson.

He seems to be of the opinion that we should re-evaluate the
standing policies. I agree wholeheartedly with him.

-Chris Lee