CVS lock ?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Dec 16 22:23:05 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 00:32 -0500, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dnzer wrote:
>
> >> +     * However, I don't feel confident enough with the control flow
> >> +     * inside the X server to implement either fix. -- nh
> >
> > RADEONEnterServer() gets called whenever the X server grabs the hardware
> > lock after a 3D client held it.
>
> Thank you, I was not aware of this :)

That's what I mean by 'no prior discussion'.

> Btw, r300_demo is not a glx app so it can run simultaneously with X,
> especially on SMP machines - which is why I decided not to explore how to
> do this in X.

I agree that such a (root only I presume?) hack is hardly important to
the X server code, but my conclusion would be to reduce the clutter of
hacks in the X code instead of increasing it even more...

> Once R300 Mesa 3d driver is closer to usable state this should no longer
> be necessary - instead the DRM driver would do cache flushes as
> appropriate.

Actually, I think the X server has to do it with the current
driverSwapMethod the radeon driver uses.