Make the r128 driver work without fbdev

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 14:07:17 PST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:51:52 -0600, David Stanaway <david at stanaway.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 16:30 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I still am not having any luck with the keyboard map at the moment (So
> > > no C-A-+/-), but changing the geometry with the xrandr extension (Using
> > > the gnome-randr-applet) works fine.
> > >

> > hmmm... I wonder if my hardware is just funky...
> >

> Well, changing the geometry with xrandr is not quite the same thing as
> Ctr-Alt-+/-, the later keeps a virtual display at the larger resolution,
> I am not sure where the difference in implementation is.
>
> Looking at xev, Ctr, Alt and +/- are captured correctly.

xrandr uses switchmode() to change the mode just like c-a-+/-,  it
just happens to also change the FB size.

> > > This I tested  without xinerama, and with Option Display "CRT"
> > >
> > > When running like this, the lcd contains some junk, I am not sure if
> > > this is a problem.
> >
> > The Display option probably needs to be reworked a bit to work right
> > with the dualhead code.  I'll sort that out and post an updated patch
> > soon.
>
> I am not sure what needs changing. Display defaults to FP (The integral
> lcd), when I specify CRT, the external VGA is used.
> I have not tried the SVideo, but I will try that at home where I have
> some video equipment.

but if you are using CRT only, the FP should be turned off.  I thought
you were saying you got garbage drawn on the LCD when you set the
display to CRT only.

I doubt s-video will work.  There's no code to handle it.  it may if
the bios/firmware has set it up to be on by default.

Alex