ChangeLogging commits to CVS

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 14 06:16:42 PST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Egbert Eich wrote:

> More or less by accident I came across commits to the X.Org
> tree that have not been properly ChangeLogged.
>
> When we created this repository we made a - yet unwritten - rule
> that every commit (maybe with the exception of simple typo fixes)
> need to be ChangeLogged properly in the topmost ChangeLog file.

Is there a way to tell CVS to print a message reminding to update
ChangeLog on every commit ?

Currently I see some error messages from some script complaining, so
I think it might be possible.

> This is to ensure we can easily track changes to the tree back to
> when they took place and who made them. CVS itself is file oriented
> so it is difficult to track which changes went into the tree as
> a whole.
>
> Furthermore the text added to ChangeLog file should also go into
> the log of the commit itself.
>
> To simplify the generation of the ChangeLog entry we use a perl
> script which I will append to this message.
> It can be run in the topmost (xc/) directory and will create a
> properly formatted entry. The only thing that remains to do is
> to add a brief description about the nature and the purpose of
> the change.
> The verbosity of this description is pretty much up to everyones
> personal taste, please take the descriptions of other commits
> as a general guideline.

1. Is it possible to put this script in tree next to ChangeLog ?

2. Is the use of the script required or optional ? I just find it easier
to make a message by hand when only changing a small subset of tree.
Especially as it might take a while for the script to work through entire
tree..

                 thank you !

                     Vladimir Dergachev