ChangeLogging commits to CVS

Mathieu Lacage mathieu_lacage at myrealbox.com
Tue Dec 14 04:13:17 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 10:56 +0000, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> Is there a reason why the ChangeLog entry can't be generated automatically
> from the CVS commit messages?  Am I missing something here?

I can remember a lengthy discussion on that specific topic for certain
modules of the gnome cvs server which refused to use ChangeLog files and
relied on cvs to generate them from cvs commits. The result of the
discussions:
	- people are lazy and use stupid cvs commit messages. A separate
ChangeLog file helps them stay honest
	- some people like to browse the file offline which is not possible if
it must be generated from the CVS metadata.
	- people do not like to rely on the unreliable CVS commit scripts to
generate a single ChangeLog on the server because commits are not atomic
so the ChangeLog file would contain commit collisions.

regards,
Mathieu
--
Mathieu Lacage <mathieu_lacage at myrealbox.com>