Experimental options

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 13 17:23:27 PST 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Alex Deucher wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:53:36 -0500 (EST), Vladimir Dergachev
> <volodya at mindspring.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Ian Romanick wrote:
>>
>>> So, there's three separate issues here.
>>>
>>> 1. Should the DDX use the DRM to assist with 2D acceleration?
>>
>> They already do, at least all radeons. Or maybe I misunderstood your
>> question ?
>>

> well, the drm is only used if 3d is enabled.  but if you don't have
> enough ram for 3d or you don't want to use the dri, the driver falls
> back to MMIO.  It'd be nice to use the drm for 2d all the time
> assuming the drm is available for your platform.

I admit I don't know the dri code that well, but it seemed to me that
depth buffer (for instance..) was allocated dynamically in a function
that allocates context, right ?

On the other hand the 3d is enabled at the start of the Xserver, so it
should remain enabled whether there are any DRI clients or not.

Or am I missing something ?

                      best

                         Vladimir Dergachev