File encoding is now UTF-8

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il
Mon Dec 13 13:07:29 PST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Adam Jackson wrote:

> On Sunday 12 December 2004 17:10, Daniel Stone wrote:

> > > Is this the general way we're going with the libs when we modularize the
> > > tree? My impression was that we would start from the current monolithic
> > > tree and split that out into separate libs and apps.
> >
> > Xpm is a special case in that it's totally dead code.  I don't believe
> > there are actually any changes -- apart from the saga of continuing
> > security updates -- between the modular and monolithic versions.
>
> We don't really want a monolithic tree corresponding to 6.9, do we?
>
> My view here is, we should kick code out of the monolith as soon as possible,
> because that way we can stop thinking about it.  The code that will require
> the most care is the server and the important client libs, and there we're
> justified in maintaining parallel trees for a while.  The pieces that no one
> cares about - libXpm, pretty much every Xt and Xaw app - should be pushed
> into xapps or xlibs and then nuked from xc/.  That way, at any given time,
> you can look at what's left of the monolith and know exactly what still needs
> modularisation.

I couldn't agree more.

> xterm.  xterm is a shining example here.  xterm has an upstream maintainer.
> Why are we wasting cycles merging it into the monolith?  Why does bug #1979
> even exist?  Nuke it, WONTFIX, full stop.

Yep, I said it many times before IMHO xterm shouldn't be part of xorg at
all. It should have its own release by Tomas.
I mean it's not part of xorg now we are just bundeling someone elses
software. If we do need a terminal I suggest we ask some other project
to join in, xterm is very stuck development while other terminal seems to
florish and add nice new options. like tabs support or full bidi/unicode
support encoding changing and so. One of the nicest thing about xterm
is the fact that its light so I don't think we should give up that,
but we should still more forward.(mterm?)

Ely