X.org on Xploretech tablets

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Mon Dec 13 07:55:19 PST 2004

Does anyone here have any experience on getting Xorg/Linux to run on
Xploretech TabletPC's (http://www.xploretech.com/index.pl)? More precisely,
the ix104-series of rugged tablets. I received some inquiries about running
Linux on one of those. AFAIK, the touchscreen _almost_ works, but there
seemed to be problems with calibration (I didn't see it myself, I'm relying
on the description I was given). More precisely: drawing on the screen (for
example) was misplaced when compared to the location of the screen that was
touched.

There were some other issues as well. The tablet has a docking-station, and it
didn't work that well with Linux. But those issues are not really relevant to
this ML.

Now, I _might_ be able to sponsor a developer with one of those tablets, so he
could make it work (X.org and/or the docking-station). However, I cannot make
any guarantees on this matter. I mentioned the fact that often sponsoring of
hardware is all that takes to get Linux working on some more exotic piece of
hardware. The representative of the company (they import and customize those
tablets for certain industrial uses) was interested in that proposal, but he
didn't outright promise to sponsor a developer. However, it is possible.

By default those tablets run Windows, and Xploretech is not really interested
in Linux. But the other company is interested in using Linux on some models.