Radeon 9600 (Mobile) with second DVI.

John Muir john at jmuir.com
Mon Dec 13 07:49:17 PST 2004

Alex Deucher wrote:

> It kind of depends how Dell wired it up. Are they using the internal
> TMDS transmitter or an external one to control the the DVI port? As
> it is now the driver assumes the second crtc will always use external
> TMDS. Internal TMDS is always tied to crtc1. At some point we really
> out to separate the controller handling from the output controls since
> theoretically either controller can drive any output. Anyway, if it's
> using external TMDS, it should work with monitorlayout "LVDS, TMDS"
> (which it looks like you've tried); if it's using internal TMDS,
> you'll need to rework the driver to use crtc2 with internal TMDS.

OK. If the Windows setup stuff is any indication, it treats both the
Dock's DVI port and the laptop screen as one display. Also, this implies
that I could have a monitor connected to the VGA port at the same time
(although i could not physically fit because the Dock is in the way).

Thus, I would guess that it's using the internal TMDS transmitter to
drive the external DVI port. The VGA port is still there, and listed by
the BIOS in radeon_bios.c.

I will try the latest CVS, and then work on getting the internal TMDS to
drive the external DVI.

For this would I start looking at radeon_driver.c? (Pointers are welcome).

..John