kdrive performance

Franco Catrin fcatrin at tuxpan.com
Thu Dec 9 05:19:15 PST 2004

El jue, 09-12-2004 a las 00:05 -0300, Damian Gatabria escribió:
> Is this so? So in Xfree3, svga could actually use acceleration..
> it would explain a lot... can anyone confirm this?

That is what I remember, Xfree3 was in my first days with Linux and that
was one of the things that grab my attention.

It will be easier for you to check it yourself if you have Xfree3
running.  Use the Svga driver and check the logs to see if it loads a
trident specific driver.

> Anyway, i'm gonna try the -shadow option, and see if it
> gets better.

You can try it, but it would be better to follow Jim's advice.

I wrote the neomagic driver, it is very very simple. Although it just
accelerates the basic functions, its performance is noticeably faster
than Xvesa.  I bet that trident specific code could do the same, and
even better.

--
Franco Catrin L.  TUXPAN
http://www.tuxpan.com/fcatrin