Matrox TV-out patches (was Re: generic display reprobing at user's request)

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Wed Dec 8 21:26:30 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 08:10:59PM +0000, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 23:32, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> > In my experimental TV patches for matrox, one of the things I do is
> > re-detect the presence of the TV cable on a VT switch.
>
> Ooh. I've been and googled for these. Found a few mail messages, but no
> patches.

That's because they don't exist outside of my machine yet.  I haven't
had time to get them even into a halfway sane/working state.  It's just
a mishmash of my previous matroxfb feature porting with Shaun Jackman's
TV mode stuff that he dumped from the windows driver.  I need a TV in a
convenient location to test it, which isn't currently the case since I
moved six months ago and still haven't got everything setup the way I
want.

> What is the state of these? What features have you got working? Can it
> work without the mga_hal module?

I want it to, and nothing seems impossible for that.

> I'd be very interested in testing and maybe hacking on these. I have a
> G550 and am using the TV out under X at the moment. Currently this is
> done by poking the registers after X starts, and it works ok, but proper
> support would be much better.

I agree.  Well, after exams are over I'll work towards getting something
preliminary posted.

> I don't care if the patches are alpha, just so long as they work with a
> recent Xorg.

todo #1: Move my development area over to an xorg tree from XFree86 :)

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>