Xgl server

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue Dec 7 19:06:12 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 14:34 +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Dec 06, 04 09:29:44 -0500, Carl Worth wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:37:54 +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> > > I'm always thinking of wide lines, which are exactly specified in X, but
> > > not in OpenGL. Until we have a change in semantics (that is, we make
> > > X12) this type of primitve will always have to be renered in software
> > > :-(
> >
> > Yes, X11 wide lines will always be rendered in software.
> >
> > Fortunately, there is no interesting software that uses these lines,
> > (and the wide arcs even less so). The reason for that is that the
> > pixel-precise specification happens to specify ugly results.
>
> Yep, I know.
> Still I keep in the back of my mind that - if we ever bump up the
> version number - in X12 the semantics should be changed here.
> If it is not for execution speed it is for better quality.

Changing the major version number of X implies incompatible protocol
change, something that would break existing applications.

The right attitude is that the existing core graphics are a wart on the
side of the new X Window System, which is render/opengl based for its
graphics model.

Continuing this wart indefinitely isn't an issue: it isn't all that big,
and software rendering is more than fast enough for the (dwindling
number of) applications that use it.
				- Jim