no meta ALT: setxkbmap: Error loading new keyboard description

es es.xorg at javanet.info
Tue Dec 7 19:07:53 PST 2004

Greetings,
I can't use any combination of (right) ALT-GR. The same problem as
described here
http://www.linux.lu/pipermail/lilux-help/2004-October/000642.html

I looked at all thread regarding this error but I wasn't able to find
any solution yet.

setxkbmap -model pc -layout it
Error loading new keyboard description
setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout it
Error loading new keyboard description
setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout it
Error loading new keyboard description

setxkbmap -v 10 -model pc -layout it
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard model
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard layout
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Applied rules from xorg:
model:      pc
layout:     it
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   xfree86+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc/pc(pc105)+pc/it
geometry:   pc(pc104)
Error loading new keyboard description

setxkbmap -v 10 -rules xorg -model pc104 -layout it -option "grg:switch"
... guess the output

Made the same test modifying xorg.conf with the same results this is an
example of configuration I used:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "it"
        Option      "XKbOptions" ""
EndSection

relevant part of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "it"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "it"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

both /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/it  and /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/it are present

any advice?
tia
es