mailing list change?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Dec 6 11:16:06 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 14:07 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 14:04 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 19:52 +0100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > The number of people posting to both xorg at freedesktop.org and
> > > xorg at lists.freedesktop.org is almost enough to make me put in a procmail
> > > filter to weed out duplicate messages.
> >
> > Well people are used to being able to hit 'reply to all' and have the
> > right thing happen.  You can't blame them... :-)
>
> It's distinctly list misconfiguration.
>
>  - The canonical name should be xorg at freedesktop.org. (Everybody else
>    manages to get this right, f.d.o can get it right too)

As opposed to xorg-list at freedesktop.org.  I'm happy that you think
-list@ is entirely different to @lists. and is a deal-breaker between
right and wrong, but whatever.

Side note: debian-devel at lists.debian.org.

>  - Thus xorg at lists.freedesktop.org shouldn't appear in the Reply-To
>    header.

Reply-To should not (repeat: NOT) ever be touched by the lists.

> Mailman is quite flexible in this regard. (The gnome lists
> are opaquely gtk-list at gnome.org, and so forth, despite being hosted
> on mail.gnome.org.)

Great, I'm aware it can be configured this way.  Either way, the fact
it's a list is exposed, as it should be.  GNOME chooses to expose it
with -list, and that's great.  We chose to expose it as @lists.  I'd
appreciate it if you could respect this decision.