Xgl server

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Fri Dec 3 11:15:39 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:37 +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:

> I always wondered why the render extension does effectively a lot of
> things in software (composing several letters together) and sending
> these down to the graphics hardware each and every time instead of
> uploading fonts (or better: part of fonts) into a texture and use the
> graphics hardware for accessing these data?

There would need to be a *lot* of pre-cached glyphs, for the all the
different fonts, font sizes, rotations, etc.  You want sub-pixel perfect
rendering of font glyphs no matter what the transformation is - can
OpenGL do that?

> :confused: Even google couldn't answer me...
> You mean Xgl running the WGL extension? Then what's AGL?

Yes, WGL is Windows OpenGL.  AGL is Apple OpenGL.  XGL is X Windows
OpenGL.  Xagl/Xwgl are the names of the server software, not the
protocol, because that would just be silly.  ;-)

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.