keyboard with keycodes > 255... What to do?

philip V zyne01 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 01:41:41 PDT 2004

well... My multimedia keyboard has several keys that produce keycodes
> 255 (after running showkey in console)
The problem is that appearantly the kernel can't handle these, and
that's why it doesn't produce any scancodes (showkey -s)

I thought that I was going to be able to access those keys using the
evdev protocol, but sadly enought, that made things even worse...

My keyboard is a logitech Desktop MX Y-RJ20 connected to my USB port.
I already had to make some changes to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/inet to be able to use the
multimedia-keys that actually do produce a keycode.

for evdev protocol, I already tried this:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	"Logitech Y-RJ20"
    Driver	"kbd"
    Option	"Protocol"	"evdev"
    Option	"Dev Name"	"Logitech USB Receiver"
    Option	"Dev Phys"	"usb-*/input0"
    Option	"XkbRules"	"xorg"
    Option	"XkbModel"	"logiinkseusb"
    Option	"XkbLayout"	"be"