[Xorg] Worried about the Savage 2D driver status

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 12:44:43 PDT 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 21:23:31 +0200, Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder what's the status of the savage driver in Xorg CVS. The
> directory contains some files that seem to indicate that the driver has
> DRI support, but it's not working. Also the driver has a strange
> mode-setting problem on my Savage4 that I last saw with a code drop from
> S3/Via. I know that Tim Robert's drivers has lots of quirks for strange
> hardware that were partially missing in the S3/Via code drop and the
> code drop had more problems on some hardware. Therefore we decided to
> base DRI support in DRI CVS on Tim Robert's 2D driver. Alex Deucher
> integrated code from the S3/Via code drop for DRI support and improved
> Xv support. This approach got rid of the mode setting problem mentioned
> above and fixed other problems as well. Seeing that bug again in current
> Xorg CVS makes me worried about the stability and compatibility of the
> code. Can someone fill me in on the history of the Savage driver in Xorg
> CVS and maybe dispel my concerns?

When I ported the S3 code drop to DRI cvs I used Tim's latest code
drop on his web site.  Xorg was based on the code in xfree86 cvs which
was slightly different from Tim's code.  Eric Anholt merged the DRI
tree into Xorg, but only added the new files (savage_hwmc.c and
savage_dri.c); he didn't actually merge the changes to the other
files.  I merged the changes (my xorg patch), but it was too late to
commit at that point.  In retrospect I probably should have used the
driver from xfree86 cvs when I initially did the port, however, the
differences were pretty minimal.  I'm planning a major clean up of the
savage DDX once I finish up and stablize the dualhead stuff. Hopefully
then I can fix the mode problems you have as well as the Xv problems
people have been reporting. It's all kind of on hold pending xorg
6.8.0 and my available free time.

Alex