RenderAccel on IGP?

Francesco Biscani biscani at pd.astro.it
Mon Aug 30 09:04:16 PDT 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 15:02, Francesco Biscani wrote:
> Ok, thanks very much - that's good news :) Installing RC3 right now, will
> report here if someone is interested.

Ok, got it up and running. The (very) good points:

- installed without a hitch (running Gentoo here);
- Dri working out-of-the-box (had to mess around with DRI cvs with older
versions);
- RenderAccel accepted by my Radeon IGP 340M;
- No crashes so far, also with GLX+Composite+Transset+RenderAccel.

The "placebo" points:

- seems snappier;
- displaying of fonts on screen seems much faster. I tried to do "find /" on a
console with aa fonts and seemed faster than prevoius version (is this
because of RenderAccel?)

The not-so-good point:

- transparencies and shadows are still dead slow. Better with RenderAccel, but
still quite unusable. Is this because the lack of support for component alpha
rendering in the "radeon" driver? Is there something to tweak to get better
performance?

Anyway, this seems to be going in the right direction. Amazing! Thanks to all
the people who are working on this project, you are great! :)

Regards,

--
Dr. Francesco Biscani

Dipartimento di Astronomia