[Xorg] Release update and new release candidate tagged

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Sat Aug 28 08:53:39 PDT 2004

On yesterday's releases wranglers call, the release date was set for
next Tuesday, 31 August 2004.  We are actively working to resolve the
remaining issues and will discuss the updated status on Monday.

Toward that goal, the X.Org CVS tree has been tagged for the third
release candidate.  If you are building test packages, please build them
against the XORG-6_7_99_903 tag and reply to this mailing list with the
location of your packages.

The test matrix on the status page has been updated with last week's
test results.  If there are any test results that I have missed, please
let me know.  The test matrix can be found here:

    http://wiki.freedesktop.org/XOrg/XorgReleaseStatus

On that page are instructions for running the build, install, run and
conformance tests.  We would like to fill in as much of this test matrix
as possible before the release next week.  There has been much more
testing during the past week, and we very much appreciate your help.

Several additional notes regarding the release:

1. The xreg script and xtest.tar.gz tarball have been updated to fix
   several of the test suite failures.  Please get these updated tools
   from the same place as before (see the instructions on "Setting up
   the X test suite" on the release status page above for downloading,
   building and using these tools).
2. There are several platforms that have not been tested, so we do not
   know if the release still builds or runs on them.  If there are
   people with those platforms available, we ask that you test this
   release candidate to make sure that it builds and runs.  We can still
   accept small patches that update support for those platforms (e.g.,
   cf or tmpl file changes).
3. As we are in the final stages of the release, we need to make sure
   that all of the documentation has been updated for this release.
   This includes any release notes, man page, etc.  If you have any
   updates, please send in patches as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your help with this release!