[Xorg] Question about the Xorg config file

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Aug 26 07:54:14 PDT 2004

On Thursday 26 August 2004 08:38, Donnie Berkholz wrote:

> ATI's binary driver config tool does by default, last I checked. Also,
> XF86Config-4 ought to take precedence over XF86Config.

Is there a binary driver that works with the ATI Rage Mobility graphics system
as a matter of interest?
I could only find drivers for the ATI Radeon series.

I have a Sony C1VFK Picturebook with ATI Rage Mobiliity P/M
which worked perfectly under FC-1 (and XFree86)
but will not work at 16bpp under Xorg.

I've asked many people many times about this,
but basically never got any helpfule replies.
(Well, I have a collection of 23 xorg.conf files,
but none of them are any better than my old XFree86 conf file.)
Incidentally, there is no X error shown -
but when X starts I just get a big black oval on the screen,
which gradually changes to a blank white screen.

I'm trying to downgrade to XFree86
but without success so far ...

--
Timothy Murphy