[Xorg] Support of ancient servers in Xorg tree?

Stuart Anderson anderson at netsweng.com
Tue Aug 17 04:51:07 PDT 2004

I didn't mean to imply that we can't get rid of orphaned code, just that
since the "owner" of this code is present, and participating, it should
be their call as to what happens to it. If it stays, then it should be
maintained in the same manner as everything else that stays.

Changes to common code requires concensus. Vendor specific code,
however, should probably be the responsibility of that vendor.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Keith Whitwell wrote:

> Stuart Anderson wrote:
> > I think it is up to the vendors that provided these DDX to decide what
> > their status is (ie it's your call). Fix it, turn it off, or rip it out.
> > Like Mike said, if it stays in, it should get a tinderbox to prove it at
> > least builds ok. There should be a row for it in the Release Readiness Table
> > if you want it.
> >

> Hmm.  I'd prefer to see that differently - the presumption should be that the
> code should be ripped out unless somebody steps up and (a) protests and (b) is
> seen to demonstrate willingness to maintain the code.  I don't see any value
> in keeping broken code in the tree otherwise.  If someone wants it back in the
> future, it will still be in the repository (just not visible on the head).
>
> Otherwise, we're all tiptoe-ing around trying not to offend people who
> probably don't exist & if they do are much more interested in other stuff.
>
> Keith

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson at netsweng.com
Network & Software Engineering                   http://www.netsweng.com/
1024D/37A79149:                                  0791 D3B8 9A4C 2CDC A31F
                                                 BD03 0A62 E534 37A7 9149