[Xorg] Support of ancient servers in Xorg tree?

Mon Aug 16 21:14:58 PDT 2004

The tree still contains rudimentary support for building ancient
servers such as the old Xdec, Xsun, Xhp, etc.  How much do we
care about this?  Should it just be put in the release notes that
they no longer work?

I was doing a test build on Solaris SPARC this evening and forgot
to set the BuildXFree86OnSparcSunOS flag, so it defaulted to building
Xsun instead of Xorg.   This failed miserably due to various damage
from Damage.

First it wouldn't link, since miext/damage/libdamage.a wasn't built
since that was only added to some X server targets in
xc/programs/Xserver/Imakefile.  Adding it didn't help because that
won't build unless PIXPRIV is defined to give devPrivates in pixmaps,
which is only set in xorg.cf, xfree86.cf, and cygwin.cf.  Trying to
set BuildDamage NO and not build miext/damage failed because then
misprite in libmi can't find the Damage functions it needs, since
those weren't #ifdef'ed in.

With enough work, this can all be fixed, but the question is, is it
worth it?  I doubt these ancient servers will be carried over to the
modular tree - does anyone still use them today?

(If I were going to try to fix, I think the best way out of the above
  mess is to define PIXPRIV by default and build miext/damage for all
  servers instead of just the few that build it now.   #ifdef DAMAGE
  around the libmi calls to the Damage functions would also be good.
  I haven't followed through on that to see if it works or not though.
  I don't think we have any spare machines running that still have
  hardware old enough to use the Xsun server from this tree - we could
  dig some out of storage, but I've got much better uses of my time
  than that.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com