[Xorg] Solicitation of screen shots of new facilities in action...

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Aug 15 11:19:36 PDT 2004

Around 18 o'clock on Aug 15, "Ronny V. Vindenes" wrote:

> With cvs today (the 15th), everything I've tested is drawing correctly.
> Performance with xcompmgr running is pretty good, BUT without xcompmgr
> running it's really poor - scrolling in gnome-terminal is so slow it's
> completely unusable and moving windows around is all "skip-n-jump".

I cannot reproduce this kind of performance problem.  I'm going to need
some help to fix it.  What video card?  CPU?  I did find a minor
performance issue with window manipulation using x11perf:

	$ x11perf -move

With composite extension enabled, no xcompmgr:

  80000 reps @   0.1137 msec (  8790.0/sec): Move window (4 kids)

With composite extension disabled:

 240000 reps @   0.0210 msec ( 47700.0/sec): Move window (4 kids)

I'm building the server -pg to find out where this problem lies.  But,
first I'm fsck'ing all my disks again (having crashed about 50 times
yesterday helping Eric Anholt work out an R200 DRI bug).

-keith