[Xorg] can't xorg detect on bootup which gfx card is installed?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Aug 15 05:10:03 PDT 2004

On Sul, 2004-08-15 at 13:36, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> I just hate it that every distro has is own specific database with
> hardware info. I would like to see a shared tool for this (used by all distro's)

X doesn't currently provide an easy to extract hardware database,
in addition to which it requires extra poking to identify some cards.

For the kernel it works because each ELF binary object contains a
locatable pointer to a table in the module itself. That allows you to
build the database even with upgrades and added drivers. Xorg doesn't do
that although if you want to volunteer to add such functionality to the
standardised binary format used by Xorg I'm sure people would be
delighted